You will need:
1. Paint or colour the clothes peg to make the body and then leave to one side to dry.
2. Start making the wings by taking a piece of card and folding it in half.
3. Using the fold as the central point, draw one half of a butterfly’s wings and cut around shape. Unfold this to have a symmetrical set of wings.
4. To make the pretty patterns on the butterfly’s wings we will bubble paint them (see next step), but if time is limited or if you would like a less messy method, use glitter or other bits and bobs to decorate the wings.
5. To do bubble painting mix together a blob of paint (any colour), a little bit of washing-up liquid and some water in a small bowl. This could be done before the session begins to save time.
6. Use a straw to blow into the mixture so that there are lots of bubbles in the bowl.
7. Carefully place the card butterfly wings on top of the bubbles so that they pop and leave a pretty pattern. Repeat this as many times and with as many different colour combinations as you like.
8. Optional – decorate the wings further with glitter or other bits and bobs (whatever you have lying around).
9. To finish, attach the wings to the body (the wooden clothes peg) with double-sided sticky tape or glue.