Getting Your Kids Through Church
is a churchwide initiative to help prevent a generation of young people being lost to the church.
- 1.1 million children will be lost to the church between 1990 and 2020.*
- The 2010 estimate for the number of under 15s who were attending church was 375,300; the 2020 estimate is 183,700.*
- 72% of Christians come to faith before the age of 19 – childhood is a crucial period in the development of faith.**
- Most of the religious beliefs, behaviours and expectations that define a person’s life have been developed and embraced by the age of 13.**
To stem the tide of young people leaving the church, and to help churches, parents and all those working with young people understand some of the reasons why and begin to address them. We aim to present a challenge, and to encourage and equip parents and leaders to meet that challenge by:
- Taking a fresh look at what may cause young people to turn away from the church and how we can play our part in reversing this trend.
- Thinking in new ways about what is happening in the lives of young people and what really matters to God.
- Considering how the way we live out our own faith impacts young people.
- Learning from the wisdom and experience of other parents and leaders who have gone through similar challenges.
In this book for parents, church leaders and youth leaders, Rob Parsons asks questions about the environment in which our children grow up.
He also challenges each of us to consider whether there is anything we can change in our homes, churches and hearts, which will make it less likely that a generation will be lost from the church.
Getting Your Kids Through Church is a flexible, DVD-based course for parents, church leaders, youth and children’s workers – anyone who is passionate about nurturing and encouraging faith in the next generation.
The sessions are presented by Rob Parsons OBE and Katharine Hill who are joined by special guests including Mike Pilavachi, Director of Soul Survivor and Gavin Calver, National Director, Youth for Christ.
What if your children don’t choose faith in Christ? What if they walk away from church?
Jo Swinney and Katharine Hill take a down-to-earth look at these painful questions. Honest and real, they help us explore the experiences of Christian parents with adult children who have decided – for now – that faith isn’t for them. Keeping Faith offers comfort, encouragement and hope for the future.
If you’re interested in hosting this conversation within your church community, connect with us for an opportunity to download the whole resource for FREE!
We want to encourage parents, leaders and church members to join the conversation – to share their experiences (the highs and the lows), to ask the difficult questions and to answer them so that together we can help prevent a generation of young people being lost to the church.
If you have attended, or organised the running of the DVD course, we’d love to hear what you think – please complete the appropriate short survey:
Course Participant (online) Participant feedback form (to print)
* Christian Research – Trends 7
** Christian Research – Faith Journeys survey