Skip navigation |
Because family life matters

Sign up to our Family newsletter:

Animated loading icon

Gift Aid

What is a Gift Aid Declaration?

If you are a UK taxpayer, we can claim Gift Aid amounting to 25p for every £1 you give to Care for the Family from the tax you have already paid. So £10.00 becomes £12.50 at no extra cost to you. You make a declaration when you let us know that you are a taxpayer and that you would like us to reclaim this extra money on your gifts.

Download our Gift Aid Declaration Form

How do I make a Gift Aid Declaration?

On the website – when giving a one-off or regular donation online, you will be given the option to make a Gift Aid Declaration.

By phone – telephone the Supporter Relations Team on (029) 2081 0800 to let us know that you would like us to reclaim tax on your gifts. We will then send you a letter confirming your declaration for you to check over and keep for your records. If you are happy with it, there is no need to take any further action.

By post – many Care for the Family leaflets have a small section with a tick box and space for your name and address, which you can simply fill in and return to us. This gives us authority to claim Gift Aid on your behalf. Alternatively, you can download our Gift Aid Declaration Form here.

Do I have to give a minimum amount?

Tax can be reclaimed on any gift, no matter how large or small, and you do not have to commit yourself to giving a certain amount or to giving regularly.

If you only pay a small amount of tax, you will need to confirm that you will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year that will cover the amount of tax that all the charities or CASCs that you donate to will reclaim on your gifts. (Other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify). The Charity will reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 that you gave.

I am not a taxpayer, but my spouse is. Can he/she sign a Gift Aid Declaration so that Care for the Family can claim tax on my donations?

Yes, you just need to make sure that the donations are coming from a bank account that has the taxpayer’s name on it (either their own account, or a joint account).

Do I have to make a Gift Aid Declaration every time I make a donation?

No, you only have to do it once, and that one declaration will allow us to claim tax on all your future gifts. We are also able to reclaim tax on any donations you may have already made in the current and previous six years.

Is it possible to cancel a Gift Aid Declaration?

You can cancel a Declaration at any time – just contact us by telephone, post or email.

What happens if I stop paying tax?

If you stop paying tax, perhaps due to retirement or redundancy, let us know and we will cancel the Gift Aid Declaration for you and make sure that we do not claim tax on any future gifts you may make.

Can I still use a Deed of Covenant?

The Gift Aid Declaration system has replaced the old Deed of Covenant scheme. If you have a Deed of Covenant, please would you consider making a Gift Aid Declaration? It will mean that we can continue to reclaim tax on your donations.

Further information can be found at:

Share Now