In her last Single Parent Support newsletter, Kat asked you for ideas of how you treat yourselves when you get a moment off.
Here are some of your responses – maybe they will inspire you with a way you can pat yourself on the back once your kids are in bed or back at school!
- I go to my room and read whilst my son is in bed (hopefully) falling asleep. I love reading and at night it helps me sometimes to escape my everyday life for a bit.
- Getting outside for a mindful walk helps me to have time out just for me – just enjoying all the sounds and colours that Mother Nature has to nurture us.
- I like to go for a daily 30 minute non-dog walk.
- I relax a lot by listening to a podcast and crocheting which I find satisfyingly creative.
- Every Friday morning I go to a local church coffee morning to have a chat, connect and read the newspapers and the local community magazines.
- Sewing class! I meet 3 lovely ladies on a Wednesday morning and we sew together – quilts, bunting, baby mats, clothes, wall hangings, Christmas or Easter decorations, cushions – you name it we sew it. We laugh, we chat, we drink coffee and celebrate all life’s little moments; it’s the best de-stressor of my week – I love it!
- I walk my dog while listening to podcasts or music.
- My favourite thing is sewing by hand. I find it therapeutic, making little stitches and creating pretty or useful things out of fibres and thread. It took me a while to get good at it, but I now have quilts, bags and clothes that I’ve made (and mended), so I am surrounded by things I’ve seen, which serves as a nice reminder of who I am and what I can achieve, if I am having a difficult day.
- I go to my allotment. It’s 250 square metres and when my husband died 4 years ago we’d cleared about a third of it. It’s been hard work but after three years of digging up rubbish and weeds I finally cleared it. It was my “grief therapy” but is now definitely the place I go to for “me time”.
- I go to the gym and have a nice long swim.
- l like to get out into nature to a waterfall or the woods or a walk by a river as l live close to the Dales.
- I love to listen to the local radio in the evenings. I found this by mistake soon after I separated. I have found getting to know the regular callers on the ‘phone in’ a great form of companionship during the evenings where I’d otherwise not have any adult company!
- To recharge I go for a long walk with the dog in the countryside.
- I run on the treadmill and do weights as this makes me feel good about myself and happier, and happy mammy = happy children. Also I volunteer at a local charity shop to give something back to the community and I thrive off it, I love it serving and helping people from all walks of life!
- I try to get as much vitamin C as I possibly can.
- My naughty secret to recharge my batteries is to go to the cinema, by myself, sit in the back corner, with a hefty chocolate supply… and either laugh or cry by myself (film depending!) for a couple of hours…. it is my escape from the world. It works!
- I treat myself to a chai latte with toast and jam.
- I have a hot bubble bath, then watch a film or read a book.
Share on social media
Help us support families today
At Care for the Family we support couples, parents and those who have been bereaved. If you would be able to make a one off donation to support our work, we would be very grateful. Thank you.